Croutons are incredibly useful little things. They can shoosh up many a dish.
Try using the end of a loaf, or something that’s gone a bit stale to eat as bread to make some. You could freeze them, or the un-croutoned bread (my preference), so you can have some at a moments notice.
You can make a meal out of them in a Panzanella with some very ripe tomatoes, sprinkle them on an inexpensive soup to make it a little special, keep a few in a dish and nibble on them as a snack, sprinkle some on any salad as an additional layer of flavour/texture, use them as a savoury snack instead of crisps. Oh, and lots of other things too, make some and see what you can come up with!
What changes can I make to croutons?
Having made some recently, I think I will experiment with flavouring them.
- Some garlic paste
- or ginger and garlic paste,
- or some tandoori spice powder,
- or any of many other curry spice powders, perhaps with a teeny pinch of dried chilli, or a fine chopped fresh one.
- Or having had cinammon toast this morning, I think I’ll try cinammon, mixed spice or nutmeg, with a dusting of sugar.
- They would go well sprinkled on a breakfast of fuit and yogort don’t you think? Yum! I really fancy some of the tandoori spice and some mixed spice ones to snack on now instead of crisps (not that I eat crisps!)
- Oh yes, and what about herbs? Some fine chopped rosemary mixed into the oil before tossing, or sprigs of it to go all crispy in the oven.
- Or thyme, or sage.
- Not sure about basil, but worth a try.
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper,
- a teeny bit of anchovy paste,
- maybe a few drops of balsamic
- or lemon juice………
The basic recipe would be something like this
250g stale bread, cut into rough cubes, at the 47p/800g loaf price we have been buying for these recipes, this would be 15p
40ml veg oil, 5p
Edit – I now toast the croutons in a frying pan, or in the Remoska, rather than using the oven
These feature in Meal Plan 1, a complete 7 day plan for 2 adults. Contains 3 meals a day, plus snacks , all recipes and a shopping list