An Autumn Panzanella
I was musing about the lovely summer dish that is a tomato panzanella and wondered if anything could be made in another season. Then lo & behold, I was reading the completely glorious book Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat and there was a recipe for just that. This isn’t that recipe, but it was certainly inspired by it
A panzanella is great for using up stale bread
What else can go in a panzanella?
It was really delicious! The almonds are the expensive things here, so the cost could be reduced by reducing the quantity of almonds, leaving them out altogether. Or perhaps using value salted peanuts or cashews instead.
Swap the carrots for parsnips, which go really well with apple. But I’m already thinking of a winter version that will feature parsnips, sweet potato, sage and walnuts
Which just leaves spring. For that I’m thinking maybe asparagus, tiny peas and mint
Have you tried alternative panzanella flavours?
- 200 g apple 17p for average sized apple
- 200 g carrot 50p/kg, 10p
- 40 g almonds 88p/100g 35p
- 200 g bread 55p a loaf, 12p
- 30 ml oil £1.09/litre, 3p
- thyme optional
- 2 tblsp olive oil £1.09/litre, 3p
- 1 tblsp lemon juice 16p/100ml, 2p
- 1 tsp grainy mustard 34p/164g, 2p
- salt and pepper
Roast the vegetables
- Chop the apples into quarters, no need to peel.
- Chop the carrots into thick slices, no need to peel if they don't need it.
- Toss the apples and carrots with salt and pepper, a little oil and the thyme leaves if using
- Roast the carrots and apples in a hot oven until soft and yielding, about 40 minutes.
- Click here to start a 30 minute timer
- Ten minutes before the vegetables are cooked through (after 30 minutes), add the prepared croutons to the oven to crisp up
Make the Croutons
- While the vegetables are roasting, cut the bread into chunky croutons
- Toss the bread with the oil and some salt and pepper
- Blast in the oven until browning and crispy, about 10 minutes
- Click here to start a 10 minute timer
Make a Vinaigrette
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together until emulsified
Assemble the Salad
- Tip the croutons into the apple and carrot mix, stir well, drizzle over dressing and enjoy immediately while the croutons are still crunchy
Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together the meal planners, Lesley surveyed what was needed. Of the existing 14 meal plans, most are for 2 people so can be sized up or down. Others are for 1, or 4 people