Tomato Dhal & Rice – 27p per serving
I like the Dahl just on its own, but it would go well with a crisp green salad, or a few cooked veggies. I cook this again and again, it goes great with other curry dishes as a side dish too.
Tomato Dahl & Rice
- 125g dry weight red lentils 500g/£1, 25p
- 75g chopped onion approx 3 medium onions Asda Smartprice 2kg/98p, 4p
- half a 400g tin tomatoes, 11p
- 20ml veg oil, Asda 1litre/£1.25, 2.5p
- 1 heaped tspn garlic, or a clove, fine chopped 1 bulb/25p, 8 cloves to a bulb? 3p
- 1 heaped tsp garam masala, Asda Rajah brand 100g/72p 4p
- salt and pepper to taste
- 100g rice, 1kg/40p, 4p
- Fry onion in oil and add spices. When turning golden, stir in lentils and tomatoes, chopped up and their juice, so oil coats the grains, then add a cup of water at a time, waiting til it looks absorbed.
- Add enough water to make a consistency like thick soup, and all the lentils fully dissolved. A taste test will show you, if it’s still ‘powdery’ add more liquid and keep boiling!
- While the dahl is cooking, put the rice in a pan with lots of boiling, salted water. Simmer for a few minutes until just cooked. Drain well in a sieve.
This dish freezes well and reheats perfectly in the microwave.
per serving – calories 510, protein 21, fat 10.6, carb 83g
This features in Meal Plan 2, a complete 7 day plan for 2 adults. Contains 3 meals a day, plus snacks , all recipes and a shopping list
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together the meal planners, Lesley surveyed what was needed. Of the existing 14 budget meal plans, most are cheap meals for 2 people so can be sized up or down. Others are cheap family meals for 4 people, or meals for one