This delicious chickpea crumble is dinner for the first day in the Week One Meal Plan, and only 46p, including sides, bargainlicious – I love chickpeas me
If you have a little cheese available, stir 15g into the crumble topping before cooking
This crumble is from Meal Plan 1, a complete 7 day plan for 2 adults. Contains 3 meals a day, plus snacks , all recipes and a shopping list
- 40 g self raising flour 45p/1.5kg, 1p
- 20 g oats 75p/kg, 1p
- 25 g salted peanuts 48p/200g, 6p
- 50 ml vegetable oil £1.09/litre, 5p
- 50 g onion chopped, 59p/kg, 3p
- 110 g potatoes scrubbed and chopped (no need to peel) £1.25/2.5kg, 6p
- ½ tin tomatoes 28p a tin, 14p
- 200 g chick peas 1 tin, drained, 33p. Or 100g soaked overnight and cooked until soft, or pressure cooked from dry for 45 minutes
- 400 g onion chopped, 59p/kg, 24p
- 160 g peas 62p/907g, 11p
- To make the crumble topping – add the oil not used to saute the onion to the flour and oats and stir in the peanuts.
- Sauté the onion and potatoes in a little of the oil until soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes.
- Simmer gently with lid on for 15 minutes until potatoes are soft.Click here to start a 15 minute timer
- Stir the chickpeas into the tomato sauce and season with black pepper and
salt to taste. Ensure the mixture is veering towards sloppy, otherwise
the cooked crumble will be a little dry.
- Put the tomato mixture into a greased ovenproof dish and top with the crumble.
- Chop the onions, still with the peel on, into large chunks. Put in a
small roasting pan and toss with a little oil, salt and pepper.
Cooking them both
- Bake the crumble and onions at 190C/375F/Gas 5 for about 30 minutesClick here to start a 30 minute timer
- Cook the peas and serve everything together.
VariationsPriced at Lidl using mySupermarket September 2019 If you have a little cheese available, stir 15g into the crumble topping before cooking This crumble is from Meal Plan 1, a complete 7 day plan for 2 adults. Contains 3 meals a day, plus snacks , all recipes and a shopping list
Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!