This is a very simple soup, made with just 4 ingredients, and saucepan to table in just 30 minutes. It contains a head of broccoli including all the stalk, red lentils, an onion and some seasoning.
Change the broccoli to another vegetable and get a completely different flavour!
I had some broccoli to use up today, so decided to make some Broccoli and Lentil soup for lunch. Hadn’t got any bread, so made some Cheapy Bread Rolls to have with it, less than 4p each!
What do I need to make broccoli and lentil soup
- a head of broccoli – this is good way to use up broccoli past its best
- red lentils – this type of lentil doesn’t need any soaking and will cook through in 15-20 minutes
- an onion
- a stock cube – or use salt and pepper or reserved vegetable cooking water
How to make broccoli and lentil soup
Chop the veg. Saute the onion in a pan in a little oil until translucent, add the chopped broccoli and let it cook until softening.
Add the lentils and stock cube and enough water to cover. Simmer gently for 15 minutes. Whizz a bit until most of the veg are chopped up. Or you could fine chop your veg at the beginning and then just leave them as they are.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add pepper if you like, or a tiny pinch of chilli, maybe a tsp of vinegar to sharpen. Taste and adjust to what you like.
Serve in a pretty bowl, maybe with a swirl of yogort/cream, a reserved pice of broccoli (cooked) or a sprinkle of croutons on top.
What changes can I make to this vegetable soup?
- change the broccoli to cauliflower, carrots, frozen peas, celery or any other vegetable you have in
- add some curry spices – use a teaspoon each of garlic, turmeric, ginger, ground coriander and ground cumin
- leave it chunky, or whizz it smooth
Does lentil soup freeze?
Yes, most soups freeze really well. Don’t freeze the garnish of broccoli or croutons, add those when you reheat and serve.
I like to store in 1 portion plastic pots as I often have soup at lunchtime. Don’t forget the label!
How many calories are there in lentil soup?
Soup is great for anyone wanting to reduce their energy intake as they are typically quite low in calories. Broccoli and lentil soup is around 160 calories a portion. If you need more calories than that, serve your delicious soup with some bread for mopping, perhaps with some cheese too.
- 1 med onion
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 stock cube
- 100 g red lentils
- Chop the vegetables. Use the whole head of broccoli, including all the stalk.1 med onion, 1 head broccoli
- Saute the onion in a pan in a little oil until translucent.
- Add the chopped broccoli and let it cook until softening
- Reserve 4 pieces of broccoli if desired, to garnish.
- Add the lentils and stock cube and enough water to cover.100 g red lentils, 1 stock cube
- Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Whizz a bit until most of the veg are chopped up. Or you could fine chop your veg at the beginning and then just leave them as they are.
- Add pepper if you like, or a tiny pinch of chilli, maybe a tsp of vinegar to sharpen. Taste and adjust to what you like
Other soups you might like