BBQ Sauce, it’s vegan too
This vegan BBQ sauce recipe is pretty simple, just bung everything in a saucepan and reduce it down a bit
Vegan BBQ Sauce
BBQ sauce is a very useful condiment to have about the place, just about as versatile as tomato ketchup. Use it on pizza (and there is a BBQ chicken pizza recipe coming shortly) on vegan BBQ ribs as the sauce for beans, in a sandwich or anywhere you would use tomato ketchup or a vegan mayonnaise (aquafaba mayonnaise recipe also coming shortly)
Making it yourself means you can control the levels of garlic, acidity, sweetness and smokiness. And of course, there are no nasties in it. If you want it more smoky, add more paprika, or use some liquid smoke. Be careful that you don’t use the hot paprika or it will be very hot! Reduce the pepper or leave it out if you don’t want any heat at all.
Add more sugar if you prefer your BBQ sauce sweeter.
Use your BBQ sauce in sandwiches to add a real zing.
- Mash some tofu with a little sauce and add some cress or lettuce
- Slice beetroot, add hummus or squashed chickpeas
- Mix beans or lentils with BBQ sauce, add finely sliced Hispi cabbage and finely sliced radish
The Vegan Society has some great sandwich filling ideas
Use your bbq sauce in this BLT sandwich paste, would work fabulously, not a vegan option
and I’m sure many jacket potato fillings could be enlivened with a spoon of vegan BBQ sauce
Home made BBQ sauce
- large mixing spoon
- saucepan, about 18cm
- stick blender
- digital weighing scales
- 500 g passata
- 60 g muscovado sugar
- 3 tblsp brown sauce cheapest one
- 2 tsp paprika sweet, smoked
- 1 clove garlic or use paste, I like it very garlicky!
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tblsp white wine vinegar or any vinegar, except malt
- Put everything in a sturdy saucepan
- Bring to the boil and simmer until it is reduced a little and thickened up. Be careful during this step, as it thickens, it tends to blip over the top of the saucepan, and it will be scalding hot
- Once it is as thick as you would like it, pot into a clean dry jar and store in the fridge once cooled
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together the meal planners, Lesley surveyed what was needed. Of the existing 14 budget meal plans, most are cheap meals for 2 people so can be sized up or down. Others are cheap family meals for 4 people, or meals for one