Savoury Baked Oats
I love baked oats and have made many a different variation of a baked oats recipe. Having tried a dozen or so sweet versions, I began to wonder about savoury baked oats. A bit of Googling later and I realised that it wasn’t really a big thing. However, I was convinced they would taste good and determined to try them.
A Slimming World baked oats recipe typically contains an egg, yogurt, sweetener (which I’m not keen on), the oats and 100g of fruit. I changed the yogurt to milk for economy, plain low fat yogurt is Free on Slimming World, which is why it is used rather than milk
I like baked oats with yogurt, and often use it. But if I’ve no yogurt left, milk it is
If you want to make vegan baked oatmeal, swap the yogurt for your favourite plant milk and add an egg substitute such as flax seed or chia seed. Cooking for one can sometimes be quite difficult, baked oatmeal for one is one of the easier recipes to make, and in fact I think it’s easier for one than it is for a family!
For brunch today, I had an absolutely delicious savoury baked oats dish and I give that version in the recipe card. I have had a little ponder and come up with lots of other flavour possibilities too.
If you aren’t a fan of sweet things, these might be right up your street. Also a great option to bake in muffin cases to use as part of a packed lunch, or just plain for something different. If you’re anything like me, you’ll like lots of different options in your menu. Menu-wise, I’m easily bored
Flavour options for savoury baked oats
- Spinach and chilli
- Curry paste and grated carrot
- Chopped onion and potato
- Sweet potato and ginger
- Or 100g of any veg with ginger, garlic, chilli and turmeric.
- Feta, olive and cherry tomato or tomato puree – herbs
- Miso, mushrooms and onion
- Bacon, beans and mushroom
- Chicken and mushroom, maybe with a spoon of cream?
- Garlicky roasted vegetables
- For a Christmassy version, parsnip, chestnut, cranberry
- Cheese and onion
- Green pea, mint, feta
I hope this has given you a few ideas for more deliciousness on your plate
- 40 g oats 75p/kg, 3p
- 80 ml milk £1.09/2.27 litres, 4p
- 1 egg free range 14p
- 0.5 tsp baking powder 69p/170g, 1p
- 100 g frozen mixed vegetables 94p/kg, 9p
- Just mix everything together and put in a small ovenproof dish, no need to oil it.
- Bake at 180c for 25 minutes.
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together the meal planners, Lesley surveyed what was needed. Of the existing 14 budget meal plans, most are cheap meals for 2 people so can be sized up or down. Others are cheap family meals for 4 people, or meals for one