Quick Banana Bread
We do get through quite a lot of bananas, but in summer, they go brown and overripe super quick. My husband eats most of the bananas in this house, and he much prefers them on the under ripe side – yeurgh, they make my teeth feel rough – and just won’t use the ripe ones, or even if they’ve got brown bits on the skin.
I usually use up soft bananas in smoothies, with an unpeeled apple and a splash of orange juice. But if I want cake, this recipe for a homemade banana bread is super quick to mix up and very tasty.
Quick Banana Bread
- stick blender
- large mixing spoon
- mixing bowl
- 2lb loaf tin
- 20cm cake tin
- reusable 2lb loaf tin liner
- greaseproof tin liners
- 4 whole bananas black and over ripe, ordinary sized, 15p each, 60p
- 2 eggs 13p each, 26p
- 100 g butter or margarine. Brilliantly Butter, 15p
- 100 g sugar I used muscovado. Ordinary 6p
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or almond essence, 15p
- 250 g self raising flour 7p
- ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
- Use a stick blender or large spoon to mulch together the bananas, eggs, butter, sugar and essence
- Then sieve together the flour and bicarbonate. To be honest, I know you should sieve flour, but I rarely do
- Add the flour to the banana mix and mix together. Stir it just enough to mix.
- Pour the mixture into a greased or lined cake or loaf tin. I usually use a 2lb loaf tin as I like to slice it like a loaf
- Bake at 180°C (GM4) for 80 mins until knife comes out clean.
click here to start an 80 minute timer
- Once cold, store in an airtight container. Should keep for 7 – 10 days. Or wrap and freeze. Perfect for packed lunches.
Total nutrition 2150 calories, 40g protein, 90g fat, 280g carbs Add walnut pieces to make banana walnut bread, or try cashews; ripple through jam or peanut butter once the mix is in the tin. Add raisins or other dried fruit. Use wholemeal flour or dark brown sugar. Zest in a lemon and some lemon juice Or you could swap out the banana for any other fruit that's soft, cooked pears for instance or tinned apricots, Once cooked and cooled, spread with butter and/or jam or peanut butter if you like.
Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together the meal planners, Lesley surveyed what was needed. Of the existing 14 budget meal plans, most are cheap meals for 2 people so can be sized up or down. Others are cheap family meals for 4 people, or meals for one