The Eighth Meal Plan. As I say every time, it shows 3 meals a day, plus some cakey extras to fill any gaps, for 7 days, for 2 adults. Change the meals around to suit yourself, combine the shopping list of ingredients in any other way that suits you, add extra ingredients that you may have, just use one of the recipes, leave out anything you don’t like or need or change anything else that you see fit.
This week is one of the few weekly meal plans that isn’t £1 a day. It’s just over, at £17.94 at the checkout and £1.28 per person, per day
You and the 2nd person you are feeding may not need all the calories a day. Only you know what you need, I will leave this part of it to you to adjust. Many of the recipes are freezable, so if you have the facilities, you could freeze the extra, or carry the ingredients forward to the following week.
If you do use anything from here, I would love it if you let me know how you get on.
You will need to be accurate with your measuring with some ingredients, and can be more free-handed with others.
Weekly Meal Plan Eight
|Priced at Asda October 2022||no leftovers this week||Oct-22|
|Asda Bean sprouts, 2 x 200g||£1.00|
|SP onions, 2kg||£1.30|
|SP natural yoghurt 500g||£0.45|
|whole chicken, 1.3kg, total of 670g usable chicken meat||£4.00|
|SP peanut butter 340g||£1.05|
|Asda dark soy sauce 150ml||£0.65|
|Asda sweet chilli sauce||£1.50|
|KTC creamed coconut, 200g||£1.00|
|rapeseed oil, 1 litre||£2.40|
|TRS brown lentils, 500g||£1.30|
|Asda medium egg noodles, 500g||£2.00|
|2000 plus 2500 calories per day|
|10% protein, 42% fat, 48% carbs, 23g fibre pppd|
|Govt. recommendations 10-35% protein, 20-35% fat, 45-65% carb, 25g fibre pppd|
|Current recommendations have moved from 5 a Day for fruit & veg, to 7 a Day.|
|This plan has, per person, a total of 0 portions of red, 12.5 orange, 19 green, 0 purple and 21.5 white. This gives a total of 7.5 portions of fruit and veg a day, per person|
The packs of bean sprouts were 360g. We now need to buy 2 packs. but they are 200g each, so use up the excess 40g in the stir fries
The link to the scones recipe is a raisin one, we don’t have any raisins in this plan, so just leave those out. Or if you have any in the cupboard, and want to use them, do, of course, feel free.
Use 60g oats per person when it is porridge for breakfast with up to 30g sugar each if you want it.
As usual, use the Cakes and Bakes at any point during the week when you need them, as an extra at lunch, a pudding after dinner, for supper, or any other hungry moment. Or if you and the 2nd person you are feeding don’t need this many calories, healthwise, these would be the best things to leave out.
Prep for the week
- All the cakes and bakes can be made in advance and stored until needed. Freeze the scones as they stale quickly
- The pie on days 2 and 4 can be made several days in advance
- It will make your week easier if you cook all the lentils at once and weigh them out as and when you need them. The evening before you start, put them all in a big saucepan and cover them with water. Don’t add salt at this point, it will toughen the lentil skins. The next day, bring them to the boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes, until tender. Not too long, mushy lentils are pretty yuck.
- At the same time as the lentils are soaking, pop the whole chicken in a big pot or slow cooker, cover with water and cook gently for a few hours, until the meat is falling off the bone. Not too much water, we don’t want that lovely stock to be watery, you can always add more water when you use it. You will now have a lovely stock for the soup. Once the chicken has cooled down, pick every scrap of meat off and refrigerate until needed. If you are doing the plan in warm weather, you may need to freeze the meat and lentils remaining half way through the week, taking out what you need on the successive days.
What will freeze
- The pies will freeze well, yes, even those delicate little bean sprouts
- Soups always freeze well
You can swap the green lentils for pearl barley, chickpeas, chana dahl, green or yellow split peas. Any of them would work in any of the recipes this week.