Stuffed Beefsteak Tomato 51p each
This was my lunch yesterday. I stuffed one of the tomatoes I got cheap at the green grocers with a few puy lentils, a bit of feta and a few black olives from a big jar I got from Morrisons. Had it with some mixed leaves from the garden and a bit of crispy, crusty bread that I rubbed with the top of the tomato that I had sliced off so I could stuff it. Oh, and drizzled it with a teaspoon of posh olive oil. It was extremely yummy.
- 1 tomato 280g, 20p lb, so 44p/kg – 12p
- 50g black olives, huge jar from Morrisons £1 for 380g drained weight, 13p
- 20g feta, Aldi, 80p/200g I think (lost the receipt) 8p
- 50g puy lentils (25g uncooked weight) (I had a little box of cooked ones in the freezer) 6p
- tsp olive oil
- slice of crispy crusty bread, £1 Sainsbury, 12p
- leaves from the garden
I know this meal isn’t necessarily reproducable, but wanted to show you a possibilty if you got hold of some cheap tomatoes. Reduced down maybe, or if your greengrocer has a cheapy market, or end of the day at the market – or from the garden. My tomatoes in the greenhouse have the teeniest tomatoes on them, can’t wait for them to grow.