Stuffed Beefsteak Tomato 51p each
This was my lunch yesterday. I stuffed one of the tomatoes I got cheap at the green grocers with a few puy lentils, a bit of feta and a few black olives from a big jar I got from Morrisons. Had it with some mixed leaves from the garden and a bit of crispy, crusty bread that I rubbed with the top of the tomato that I had sliced off so I could stuff it. Oh, and drizzled it with a teaspoon of posh olive oil. It was extremely yummy.
- 1 tomato 280g, 20p lb, so 44p/kg – 12p
- 50g black olives, huge jar from Morrisons £1 for 380g drained weight, 13p
- 20g feta, Aldi, 80p/200g I think (lost the receipt) 8p
- 50g puy lentils (25g uncooked weight) (I had a little box of cooked ones in the freezer) 6p
- tsp olive oil
- slice of crispy crusty bread, £1 Sainsbury, 12p
- leaves from the garden
I know this meal isn’t necessarily reproducable, but wanted to show you a possibilty if you got hold of some cheap tomatoes. Reduced down maybe, or if your greengrocer has a cheapy market, or end of the day at the market – or from the garden. My tomatoes in the greenhouse have the teeniest tomatoes on them, can’t wait for them to grow.
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together the meal planners, Lesley surveyed what was needed. Of the existing 14 budget meal plans, most are cheap meals for 2 people so can be sized up or down. Others are cheap family meals for 4 people, or meals for one