Spiced Broccoli Soup. Delicious with tomato scone or herb bread
Spiced broccoli soup is a delicious soup. Mildly spicy and creamy, a lovely cold weather lunch, filling, warming and tasty. It is exactly the same as the Spiced Parsnip Soup recipe on meal plan 4, except that I have swapped the parsnip for broccoli, and I sometimes use butter in place of the oil too. Whist enjoying the parsnip version, I thought that it would probably work for all kinds of different veg. So as I had a yellowing head of broccoli to use before it was unusable, broccoli was the first one I tried.
Originally posted in December 2018, this recipe was updated and repriced in July 2019
- 1 medium onion chopped, 100g, 1kg/£1, 10p
- 1 garlic clove crushed, 20p/bulb, 5p
- 1 head broccoli chopped, stalk as well, 65p
- 200 g potato chopped, no need to peel, 2kg/£1, 10p
- 150 ml milk £1.09/2.27 litres, 7p
- 4 tblsp butter Brilliantly Buttery £1.44/kg, 9p
- 1 tsp curry powder KTC hot madras, £1.75/400g heaped measure, 2p
- 1 tsp salt
- Sauté the onion, garlic, broccoli and potato in the oil until soft.
- Add the curry powder and sizzle for a couple of minutes to bring out the flavour of the spices.
- Add a litre of water and the salt.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the milk and whizz until smooth.
Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and more curry powder if you like.
- Add more water if you like a thinner soup
Some chopped chives or parsley would be nice on top of this, or a swirl of something creamy.
Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!