Spiced Broccoli Soup. Delicious with tomato scone or herb bread
Spiced broccoli soup is a delicious soup. Mildly spicy and creamy, a lovely cold weather lunch, filling, warming and tasty. It is exactly the same as the Spiced Parsnip Soup recipe on meal plan 4, except that I have swapped the parsnip for broccoli, and I sometimes use butter in place of the oil too. Whist enjoying the parsnip version, I thought that it would probably work for all kinds of different veg. So as I had a yellowing head of broccoli to use before it was unusable, broccoli was the first one I tried.
We serve the spiced parsnip soup on the meal plan with either herb bread or tomato scones. They would both go well with this version too
Originally posted in December 2018, this recipe was updated and repriced in July 2019
- 1 medium onion chopped, 100g, 1kg/£1, 10p
- 1 garlic clove crushed, 20p/bulb, 5p
- 1 head broccoli chopped, stalk as well, 65p
- 200 g potato chopped, no need to peel, 2kg/£1, 10p
- 150 ml milk £1.09/2.27 litres, 7p
- 4 tblsp butter Brilliantly Buttery £1.44/kg, 9p
- 1 tsp curry powder KTC hot madras, £1.75/400g heaped measure, 2p
- 1 tsp salt
- Sauté the onion, garlic, broccoli and potato in the oil until soft.
- Add the curry powder and sizzle for a couple of minutes to bring out the flavour of the spices.
- Add a litre of water and the salt.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the milk and whizz until smooth.
Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and more curry powder if you like.
- Add more water if you like a thinner soup
Some chopped chives or parsley would be nice on top of this, or a swirl of something creamy.
Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!