Bacony tomatoey pasta
This recipe was suggested by Ailsa Jones on the Facebook group. Look in the comments if you’d like to see the original recipe. I forgot the garlic and the smoked paprika mind, and they would both be lovely additions.
- 100 g bacon cooking bacon, 57p/500g, 11p
- 1 onion 59p/kg, 6p
- 1 carrots 60p/kg, 6p
- 1 tin tomatoes chopped, 29p
- 1 tblsp oil £1.09/2.27 litres, 7p, any fat will do
- 160 g pasta value, 29p/500g, 9p
- Chop the bacon, onion and carrot and sauté in the fat until soft. This step is important as the carrot won't soften any further once the tomatoes are added and boiled onion isn't the best
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Taste and season.
- I used a tsp mustard, tsp dark brown sugar and a grating of nutmeg. Taste and taste again.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta.
- Once everything is ready, divide the pasta between 2 bowls, tip the sauce over and mix through.
- This was good on its own, and if you want to keep the cost down, stop here.
- We added extras and had ours topped with some grated cheese and chopped walnuts, and some broccoli on the side, which still works out at a very reasonable 80p
Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together the meal planners, Lesley surveyed what was needed. Of the existing 14 meal plans, most are for 2 people so can be sized up or down. Others are for 1, or 4 people