Meal Plan 4 – Flapjacks, 3p a piece
Do you remember that my laptop battery wouldn’t charge and I had to send it back to Acer? They picked it up last Wednesday and on this Monday a big UPS lorry pulled up and delivered it back again. There was a slip inside explaining that the problem was the battery had broken, they had replaced it and it was now fine. And it is. I am very impressed by their service. There was a problem, the battery was defective, but they remedied it quickly and efficiently. Well done them.
Basic Flapjack Recipe
This recipe uses some of what we have left on meal plan 4. Usually when I make flapjacks, I would use some golden syrup, which sticks them together and makes them deliciously sticky, but we don’t have any of that. We have just this little bit of flour available, but it worked beautifully, with the flapjacks holding together really well, making them transportable for lunches or whatnot.
- 50 g sugar 1kg/79p, 4p
- 100 ml veg oil 1 litre/£1.25, 12p
- 125 g oats value 75p, 9p
- 80 g flour value 45p, 2p
- The method couldn’t be simpler, just tip everything in a bowl and stir it all well together.
- Tip the mixture into a small tin and press it down well, this helps the cooked flapjacks to stick together. You could use an ordinary baking tray and press the mixture into half of it, the mixture shouldn’t spread, but you could create a partition with some folded foil or greaseproof.
- Bake at 180C fan/ 200C non fan/ 400F / gas mark 6, for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin before cutting into pieces. I cut mine into 9 pieces, you can cut them into whatever size suits you best