I love this soup, it is my go to for a soup for lunch. I usually add a tsp of ginger paste from a jar, a tsp of garlic paste, and a tsp of turmeric to give it a lovely spicy kick, and at 16p a serving, you can have a big bowl.
If you want to add different curry pastes or powder, try what you have and you’ll get a different flavour every time. Reduce the water right down, and you can use this as a pasta sauce. You’ll need to watch it carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn. I haven’t tried it yet, when I do, I’ll tell you how much water to use
- 70 g onion chopped
- 100 g carrots scrubbed and chopped (no need to peel)
- 250 g red lentils
- 1 tblsp oil
- Saute the onion and carrots in the oil until soft.
- Add the red lentils and a litre of water.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. Click here to start a 20 minute timer
- Whizz with a stick blender or in a liquidiser, or leave as it is.
- Add more water if the soup is thicker than you would like
Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!