Lentil Soup, my go to lunch time soup
This post was first written in June 2013 and updated in June 2021.
I love this soup, it is my go to for a soup for lunch. I usually add a tsp of ginger paste from a jar, a tsp of garlic paste, and a tsp of turmeric to give it a lovely spicy kick, and at 16p a serving, you can have a big bowl.
How To Make Lentil Soup
Saute the onions and carrots, then simmer in water with red lentils until everything is cooked through. Leave as it is, or whizz it smooth. Season it well.
- If you want to add different curry pastes or powder, try what you have and you’ll get a different flavour every time.
- Reduce the water right down, and you can use this as a pasta sauce. You’ll need to watch it carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn. I haven’t tried it yet, when I do, I’ll tell you how much water to use
Want More Soup Recipes?
Butternut Squash, Ginger & Coconut Soup – GF, NF, DF & Vegan
Lettuce Soup. Perfect to use up that half bag of salad leaves
This recipe is from the first meal plan I wrote, right back at the beginning of Thrifty Lesley, plus I also added it to the next one as well
- 70 g onion chopped
- 100 g carrots scrubbed and chopped (no need to peel)
- 250 g red lentils
- 1 tblsp oil
- Saute the onion and carrots in the oil until soft.
- Add the red lentils and a litre of water.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. Click here to start a 20 minute timer
- Whizz with a stick blender or in a liquidiser, or leave as it is.
- Add more water if the soup is thicker than you would like
Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!
It’s there now, ignore last comment
Has this recipe been deleted. I cant see it
It’s one of my favourites, especially with a bit of garlic, ginger and turmeric in it
Trying this tonight. I will let you know how I get on.
Fantastic Martyn, well done. I’m so glad you are enjoying it
This was delicious. I never cook for myself, so thought it would be a pain chopping the ingredients, I was wrong! I had enough for a large bowl full, and filled an empty soup container (2 servings) with the other half. Looking forward to cooking my dinner soon. (Chole & Naan). Many thanks and I will keep you up to date with my progress.
How exciting! Let me know how you get on 🙂
I work part-time, so trying to pay for a house, keeping a social life and feeding myself is hard. I have challenged myself to follow your meal plans for a whole month. Did my first shop earlier and this will be my first meal. Hopefully the beginning of wealthier times!
It’s one of my favourites Brenda, glad you like it too.Let me know if you find something else you like
I have just made your Carrot & Lentil soup. Absolutely delicious. I live on my own so shall freeze what’s left for later. Thank you very much. I am now going to browse the rest of your recipes.