Hummus & Grated Carrot Sandwich
This sandwich is great for lunch, packed lunch or at home. Very versatile, have a look at some other flavouring options too. My girls used to love this in their school lunch boxes, along with a Penguin, not allowed those now!
Variations for hummus
There are a great many flavouring variations, have a look here for loads of ideas for your hummus
If you have a lemon, a little fine grated zest and a spritz of juice is lovely. Garlic too is a classic addition, we just don’t have any available on this meal plan. Or add a few very slow cooked, caramelised onions, stirred through. Or add a bit of red pepper from a jar, either chopped and left in chunks, or whizzed when you make the paste. And of course, if you have some tahini, stir a tsp through, yum. Or how about a tsp or so of Aunt Mabels Green Tomato Chutney that’s been in the cupboard for 4 years. Or dry fry 2 or 3 tsps of curry powder, or any combination of spices you have (if whole, they will need to be ground up fine) and stir them through – goodness, this is making me hungry!
If you are following Meal Plan 1, the other half of the hummus is used in the same way on another day
This sandwich is from Meal Plan 1, a complete 7 day plan for 2 adults. Contains 3 meals a day, plus snacks, all recipes and a shopping list
Try this post for hundreds of flavouring ideas.
- 4 slices bread 45p a loaf of 22 slices, 8p
- 100 g carrots scrubbed and coarsely grated, 49p/kg, 5p
- 30 ml veg oil £1.09/litre, 4p
- 80 g chick peas 40g soaked overnight and cooked until soft, or pressure cooked from dry for 45 minutes, or ½ tin, drained. half tin, 16p
- To make the hummus, cook the chickpeas as above. Place in a food
processor and whizz with the oil and enough water to make a thick paste.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you don’t have a processor,
mash the chick peas with a fork.
- To assemble the sandwich, using half the hummus, spread it over the 4
slices of bread, sprinkle the grated carrot over two slices, and top
with the other slices.
- We don't have any available on Meal Plan 1 but if you have any, add garlic, lemon zest and a spoon of tahini
Try this post for hundreds of flavouring ideas. Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!