Coconut & Lime Rice – vegan
I have been doing tandoori chicken quite often lately. A very easy dish, that is just diced chicken, tossed in tandoori spice, and pan fried in a little oil, just enough so it doesn’t stick
Normally, I do an Indian spiced vegetable rice to have with it. But this week, I wanted something different, so I thought I’d try doing a vegan coconut rice. There was a lime in the fruit bowl, so that was pressed into service too.
My goodness, I loved it! It was VERY coconutty! Coconut and lime rice – yum! I have several boxes of dried coconut milk, so used the equivalent of half a tin of coconut milk – 40g. My husband found it too creamy, and he’s not fond of creamy things. So next time I think I’ll use half as much and it should still taste of coconut
There was just enough chicken, rice and green beans left after dinner for a small dish for my lunch tomorrow – yum!
Variations of coconut lime rice
Lime’s are expensive, so a squirt from a bottle of lemon juice would do just as well.
Use peas instead of carrot, or sweetcorn, swede or sweet potato.
Add a dash of fish sauce or soy sauce. Try a little garlic, chilli and ginger. Throw in a star anise, a bay leaf or a sprig of rosemary. Whatever you think will work well together
I’m definitely going to do this again!
- 60 g rice
- ½ tin coconut milk
- 100 g carrot
- 100 g onion
- ½ tsp oil
- 1 lime
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Peel and chop the onion. Saute in a little oil until transparent. Use a saucepan
- Dice the carrot very small. No need to peel unless it needs it.
- Add the carrot and rice to the saucepan with the onion in it and stir it all around
- Add the lime zest, the juice and the coconut milk
- Put the lid on the saucepan and simmer very gently until the rice is cooked through. Keep an eye in it, we don't want the rice sticking to the bottom of the saucepan, but try nit to stir it too much as the rice will release its starch and go gloopy
- Alternatively, you can bring everything to a boil and bake it in a covered dish in the oven for about half an hour