Vegan Couscous Salad
How to make vegan couscous salad
This is pretty simple and doesn’t take long.
Put couscous in a bowl with oil and water. Add grated carrot.
Cook some green peas (1 min in the microwave from frozen will do it) and add to the couscous
If you have any mint in the garden, a pot of basil or any other fresh herbs, chop a spoonful very finely and stir in (optional)
What is this couscous salad like?
It is filling and sustaining, keeping me going until dinner (I usually have it at lunchtime).
Very versatile, you can add all kinds of bits and pieces to it from those little dishes in the fridge
Changes you can make
If you are following Meal Plan 2, you will need to follow the recipe fairly closely.
If you aren’t, omit any of the ingredients if you don’t have them.
- Use black or green olives, don’t forget to remove the stones to avoid a tooth crunching unpleasant surprise.
- Garlicky roasted vegetables
- Grated raw swede
- Chopped pepper of any colour
- Change the nuts to whatever you have, or leave them out
- Add sweetcorn, frozen or canned
- Lightly cooked green beans
- Add a couple of chopped date, dried apricots or a handful of sultanas
- Prawns, tuna, sardines
- Chopped chicken, cubed cooked roast beef, chopped ham
- Chick peas, lentils and beans
- or any other protein that you have will all work well.
Other recipes using couscous
- 50 g couscous
- 80 g olives
- 25 g salted cashews
- 2 tblsp oil
- 100 g peas
- 100 g carrot grated
- 50 g onion sliced very fine
- 50 ml water
- Put the couscous in a bowl and add oil and water.
- Add the carrot.
- Cook the peas (1 min in the microwave from frozen will do it) and add to the couscous.
- Chop the herbs very finely and add if using
- Add olives, halved
- Leave all to stand for 10 minutes or so.
- Mix in the cashews.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.