Spinach and ricotta pasta
This is the pasta dish I spoke about last time. Its seriously good and with a little tweaking it comes in at an acceptable price for this blog.
Spinach & Ricotta Pasta
This picture is when I made it using giant shells
Spinach & Ricotta Pasta is a classic recipe and it will just about fit into a £1 a day budget Click To Tweet
Variations on Spinach & ricotta pasta
If you can find find giant pasta shells, they were fun to use, but far from essential.
A few sautéed mushrooms would be good. Instead of spinach you could use finely shredded kale or dark green cabbage.
Any nuts could be used instead of the walnuts, you can’t actually taste what they are. You could leave them out altogether if you wish, although the crunch was really good.
The pop of sweetness from the raisins was lovely and could be replaced with any other dried fruit.
I sprinkled over a couple of finely chopped Brazil nuts, they gave a nice extra crunch but you don’t need them.
I used generous amounts of dried basil and fresh ground black pepper. This made the sauce really good and I recommend it. Use whatever herb you want of course. Fine chopped rosemary, sage, lemon balm, parsley and thyme would all be good
I haven’t tried this with value soft cheese, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Which leads on neatly to other cheeses. Sprinkle over a little cheddar, any cheddar would work, Parmesan, grana padano, Lancashire or blue cheese would all be yummy.
- 85 g frozen spinach £1.69/1.3kg, 11p
- 35 g walnut pieces £1.64/150g, 38p
- 20 g raisins £2.74/kg, 5p
- 90 g ricotta 80p/250g, 29p
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 400 g tomatoes 28p
- 1 tsp dried basil 49p/14g, 4p
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ iceberg lettuce shredded, 60p for the whole lettuce, 15p
- 200 g carrots 65p/kg, 13p
- Mix the spinach and ricotta together.
- Chop the walnuts finely, chop the raisins up a bit and add both to the spinach mixture.
- Season well with salt and pepper, and maybe a little nutmeg if you have it.
- Cook the pasta and drain well.
- Place the pasta in an ovenproof dish. Dot over the spinach and ricotta mix, or if you are using shells, divide the mixture between the shells
- Season the chopped tomatoes with lots of black pepper so it’s spicy, add a little salt.
- Carefully pour over the pasta and spinach mix.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes.