Spicy Cabbage, Lentils & Nan
On my travels round the market town where I live, I popped in the greengrocer and amongst other things, bought a huge Savoy cabbage from the cheapy box for 50p. Looking up cabbage recipes, I came across Savoy Cabbage with Lentils at Abel & Cole – lots more cabbage recipes, and other veg recipes there too. It looked good, so I gave it a try and had it for dinner this evening. I made some Nan to go with it, and it was really delicious – a definite keeper
- 100 g red lentils
- 1 stock cube
- 1 onion
- bit of garlic
- 250 g cabbage
- 2 tsps mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch cayenne or a little chilli
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 2 tblsps veg oil
- 125 g self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- First of all, make the nan. These really need to rest for at least an
hour to get that doughy nan texture. If you make and eat them straight
away, they will still taste good, but they will be more cakey.
- Stir the flour and salt with enough water to make a soft dough and give
it all a good knead if you like, you don’t really need to, I don’t
usually bother. Place in an oiled bowl and leave to prove for an hour.
Punch down and divide into 2. Roll out into nan shapes.
- When you are ready to eat, pre-heat grill to high and place each nan on the grill pan and grill until it puffs and there are some brown spots. No need to turn over. Brush with a bit of spread or butter if you have it and serve straight away.
- I make these nan with milk in the Chole recipe, but have found that water is just fine
- Simmer the lentils with the stock cube in about 400ml water.
- Meanwhile, prepare the veg. Strip the cabbage leaves from their tough
stalks and very finely chop the stalks. I had almost nothing to put in
the compost pot.
- Saute the onion, garlic and cabbage in the oil until the onion is
transparent, add the spices and saute for several minutes until the tiny
bits of stalk are softened.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, breaking them up if they are whole ones and tip
in the cooked lentils. Simmer until the veg are cooked and soft, keep
the lid off if you need to reduce the liquid a bit. Add salt and pepper
if you need them
- Serve with the nan
Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together the meal planners, Lesley surveyed what was needed. Of the existing 14 budget meal plans, most are cheap meals for 2 people so can be sized up or down. Others are cheap family meals for 4 people, or meals for one