Filled Pitta Breads, with Carrot, Lemon & Soft Cheese
A super simple filled pitta bread, filled with a mixture of grated carrot, lemon zest and juice and soft cheese. It was very tasty, it would work without the lemon if you don’t have any, but it really does make a big difference to the flavour, especially the zest.
How to make filled pitta breads
This is a super simple recipe. Warm your pitta bread a little. This makes the pitta softer and more pliable, so you don’t end up with a topped pitta rather than a stuffed one. I find cutting the pitta in half across the shortest side works well, giving you 2 deeper pockets.
Simply put soft cheese in a bowl, grate in some carrot, add in some lemon zest and a trickle of juice and stir well. Spoon into the pitta.
What is this stuffed pitta like?
Creamy from the soft cheese, crunchy from the carrot and with a delicious freshness from the lemon zest and juice.
This mix is pretty amenable and will sit happily in a lunch box.
Mike wanted his on a muffin and that worked too.
It would be lovely in a sandwich, or on top of a jacket potato too.
- I liked it just as it was, but you could add some sliced up olives (if you are following the week two menu planner, you have some spare)
- Tuck some salad leaves from the garden in the pitta
- Or any salady bits
- Maybe a little salsa of chopped tomato, cucumber and onion. The tomato would make the pitta wet in a lunch box, so best pack that separately.
- If you haven’t tried it, grated raw parsnip is delicious, and could be substituted for the carrot
- Or maybe grated raw swede.
- A smear of garlic paste
- A pinch of curry powder.
- Or how about a sprinkle of raisins for a pop of sweetness,
- A couple of dried plums if you have been drying foraged fruit.
- A couple of sun dried tomatoes, snipped small, and a drizzle of the oil they are in if they are the type in oil.
- Some snipped chives, or very finely chopped onion.
- Use orange zest and juice instead of lemon
Hmm, wonder if it would work stirred through pasta, bet it would 🙂
How to make pitta bread, and other meals using pitta
- 1 pitta
- 40 g soft cheese
- 50 g carrots grated
- ¼ lemon zested, and juiced