Lentil ragu with spaghetti
Made something really good this evening inspired by a recipe from this book. I’ve tweaked it a bit, as you do, so this is my version of it. First printed in 1994 and still in print and extremely cheap from Amazon. Loads of great recipes, recommended
Utterly delicious! Deeply savoury, filling and satisfying.
This would be fabulous on crackers, in a sandwich or a jacket potato too.
Without the cheesy topping, this is vegan, dairy free and nut free.
This could easily be varied by adding curry powder or a dollop of curry paste, or a red, green or yellow Thai paste. Add ginger and chillies, or a little coconut milk.
Add a little marmite or bovril for a meaty version. Or anchovy paste and fish sauce for a fishy one.
Change the vegetable to pureed butternut squash, frozen or tinned spinach, peppers from a jar, mushrooms or anything else you would like. Or indeed add a bit of something else to this version, or a mixture of anything
- 320 g spaghetti wholemeal, 45p/500g, 29p
- 1 tblsp olive oil £2.98/litre, 4p
- 1 onion large, finely chopped, 75p/kg, 8p
- 225 g lentils red, £1.15/500g, 52p
- 3 tblsp tomato purée 37p/200g, 8p
- 2 tsp garlic granules £1.09/115g, 10p
- 575 ml water boiling
- 50 g cheddar grated, £3.69/825g, 45p
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Saute the onion in the olive oil until cooked through.
- Add the garlic granules, lentils, water, tomato puree and the boiling water.
- Simmer, with the lid on, very gently for about 20 minutes.
- click here to start a 20 minute timer
- The red lentils need to be cooked through.
- Stir every now and again and keep an eye on it, as the water is absorbed they may stick.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Taste and add more if it needs it.
- As the lentils are cooking, cook the spaghetti in salted water until tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Stir about half of the ragu through the spaghetti and put the spaghetti
in warmed bowls. Top with the remaining ragu, then the grated cheese.
- Serve with salad if you have any available
Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!