I’ve been wanting to try a beetroot and feta tart for a while now. Made it for lunch today and it was just as delicious as I thought it would be. My intention was to make a tart to serve 2, but by the time I had diced up the beetroot, it was obvious it wasn’t going to fit into my 2 portion tart dish. So this amount makes 4 portions. If you just want 2, half everything and use a 2 portion sized dish.
I had mine with chunky chopped cucumber and carrot ribbons with a tsp of a mustardy vinaigrette. It would be good with any salady bits, or green beans, or anything else you fancy.
Next time, I think I will finely chop 2 tbslps of rosemary and add it to the pastry mix. If you don’t have access to any rosemary, other herbs would work, marjoram, oregano, basil or a half tsp dried mixed herbs. Or if you don’t have any of those, just leave it out.
Oh damn, only just remembered I was going to mix roasted onion quarters in with the beetroot :(, oh well, something else for next time!
- 500 g beetroot I used the shrink wrapped kind, 65p
- 200 g feta 75p, I only used 175g worth, and realistically, half the pk would have been fine, so say 38p
- 150 g self raising flour bag of value flour, 45p, 5p
- 75 ml oil veg oil, £1.09 a litre, 8p
- 1 tsp oil for roasting, 1p
- 5 g rosemary 50p/20g, 12p
- Extract the beetroot from the shrink wrapped pack and cut it into
- Toss it with a little oil, salt and pepper and the rosemary
sprigs which have been stripped down to their leaves, we don’t want the
stalks. Make sure the rosemary gets covered in oil and it will roast to a
lovely crunchy texture.
- Roast the beetroot in a medium oven for 20 mins Click here to start a 20 minute timer
- Meanwhile, make the pastry.
Combine the oil and the flour and add up to 75ml of cold water to make a soft dough, just gently stirring with a spoon, no rubbing in is needed.
- Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin, and line a 20-22cm
- Unwrap the feta and cut it into small cubes.
- Once the beetroot has roasted, take it out of the oven, let it cool a bit and tip it into the lined flan tin. Keep the oven on
- Spread the beetroot out evenly in the pastry case. Put the diced feta in between the beetroot.
- Bake in the oven, 180C, for 20-25 minutes, until the pastry looks cooked Click here to start a 20 minute timer
- Serve immediately if you want it hot. I've also had the leftovers next day for lunch, cold with some salad. Was lovely
Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!