Stretch a Chicken – A step by step guide on how to get 1 medium chicken to last the family an entire week
I expect most families who need to stretch the pennies have favourite ways to stretch a chicken and ways to stretch minced beef. A medium chicken yields just under a kilo of meat and I decided to see just how far I could make it stretch!
I was able to stretch this single chicken to 28 portions, which I think is pretty good!
- Roast Chicken, gravy, roasties and veg, with stuffing, 4 portions
- Risotto, onion, half the the stock, some vegetables, butter and parmesan, 4 portions
- Pizza, tomato sauce, onion, red pepper, stuffing, cheddar and mozzarella, 4 portions
- Pasta, white sauce, onion, ginger, garlic and chilli, 4 portions
- Tart, onions, sweetcorn, eggs, no cheese, stuffing, 4 portion
- Pie, some of the gravy, onion, stuffing, 4 portions
- Soup with the remaining half of the stock, 4 portions
This means that 1 medium chicken can be used to make 7 different budget stretching chicken recipes and feed your family for a week – bargaintastic!